- University of Notre Dame, BA, 1985
- Loyola University Chicago, JD, 1988
Nisen & Elliott, LLC
200 West Adams Street | Suite 2500
Chicago, IL 60606
Phone: (312) 346-7800
Mr. Dawson is a partner in Nisen & Elliott’s Litigation Group. He concentrates on civil litigation and represents clients in many forums including federal and state courts as well as various regulatory agencies and arbitration forums. Mr. Dawson represents both large and small businesses along with an array of other clients such as Bankruptcy Trustees and entrepreneurs in a wide variety of matters including complex commercial litigation, director and officer liability claims, enforcement of creditor’s rights, avoidance of fraudulent conveyances, resolution of financial disputes, various disputes within the financial industry and other general commercial litigation matters. His experience includes the following:
- Trial attorney for a Bankruptcy Trustee in a hotly contested seven week trial which resulted in judgments in favor of the Trustee in excess of $10,000,000.00 including attorney’s fees and punitive damages
- Trial attorney in a seven day arbitration against a global investment bank and securities trading and brokerage firm which resulted in a six figure award by the NASD arbitrators plus attorneys’ fees
- Trial attorney for a Chicago Board of Trade Clearing Firm in a contractual dispute regarding restrictive covenants
- Trial attorney in the successful defense of alleged CBOT regulatory violations at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- Trial attorney for a Bankruptcy Trustee in the successful defense of an objection to a $1,000,000.00 settlement
- Trial attorney for a trucking company in the successful defense of an action seeking damages related to the theft of a railroad box car loaded with electronic equipment
- Trial attorney for various lenders who have successfully prevented the discharge of debtors and/or the dischargeability of debts
- Trial attorney for numerous trials and hearings in the United States District Courts and the United States Bankruptcy Courts
- Trial attorney for various parties in more than ten state court jury trials tried to verdict
- Trial attorney for arbitration hearings in various forums including the American Arbitration Association
- Lead attorney for a post-confirmation debtor who obtained judgments in excess of $10,000,000.00 against various defendants based on a misappropriation of funds, breaches of fiduciary duties, fraudulent conveyances and other causes of action
- Lead attorney for a Bankruptcy Trustee who obtained a settlement in excess of $3,000,000.00 based on fraudulent conveyances and other causes of action
- Attorney for an Estate which obtained a $4,500,000.00 settlement for the family of a deceased burn victim
- Appellate attorney for various appeals which included the preparation of appeal briefs as well as the presentation of oral arguments
- Representation of individuals before Departments of Professional Regulation
- Representation of individuals before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”), the National Association of Securities Dealers (“NASD”), the Commodities Futures Trading Association (“CFTC”), the Chicago Board of Trade (“CBOT”), the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (“CME”) and the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”)
Partial List of Published Cases
- Costello v. Poisella
291 F.R.D. 224 (N.D. Ill. 2013)
- BankFinancial, FSB v. Tandon
370 Ill. Dec. 817 (1st Dist. 2013)
- Boliaux v. Automotive Finance Corp.
459 B.R. 292 (N.D. Ill. 2011)
- Paloian v. Grupo Serla S.A. de C.V.
433 B.R. 19 (N.D. Ill. 2010)
- In re GGSI Liquidation, Inc.
389 B.R. 636 (Bkrtcy. N.D. Ill. 2008)
- Manheim Automotive Financial Services, Inc. v. Amer Leasing Sales, Inc.
2007 WL 3120043 (N.D. Ill. 2007)
- In re GGSI Liquidation, Inc.
2007 WL1958597 (Bkrtcy. N.D. Ill. 2007)
- Abarca v. Manheim Services Corp.
2007 WL 188034 (N.D. Ill. 2007)
- MB Financial Bank, N.A. v. Planet Airways, Inc.
2005 WL 1189597 (N.D. Ill. 2005)
- In re Park
314 B.R. 378 (Bkrtcy. N.D. Ill. 2004)
- Blair v. BankOne, N.A.
307 B.R. 906 (N.D. Ill. 2004)
- Tokio Marine & Fire Ins. Group. v. J.J. Phoenix Express, Ltd.
156 F.Supp.2d 889 (N.D. Ill. 2001)
- Tokio Marine & Fire Ins. Group v. J.J. Phoenix Express, Ltd.
104 F.Supp.2d 946 (N.D. Ill. 2000)
- In Re Jones
219 B.R. 506 (Bkrtcy. N.D. Ill. 1998)
- In re Glenwood Medical Group, Ltd.
211 B.R. 282 (Bkrtcy. N.D. Ill. 1997)
- In Re Bailey
145 B.R. 919 (Bkrtcy. N.D.Ill. 1992)
- Bastian v. Petren Resources Corp.
271 Ill.App.3d 232 (1st Dist. 1995)
- Wilkonson v. Yovetich
249 Ill.App.3d 439 (1st Dist. 1993)
- Elmhurst AutoParts, Inc. v. Fencl-Tufo Chevrolet, Inc.
235 Ill. App.3d 88 (2nd Dist. 1992)
Mr. Dawson is admitted to practice in the:
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Various other forums
and is a member of the:
- Trial Bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois